General Manager – Culture & Community, Surf Coast Shire Council
I’ve had the pleasure of working with Ian for close to two years in one-on-one and group settings. Ian’s unconventional in his approach (refreshing!) but works to a brilliantly simple yet powerful philosophy that centres around our experiences as human beings (shocking I know!!). He’s a purpose and values-driven mentor and team builder who I’d recommend to anyone.
From 1974 - 1991 I enjoyed a very successful corporate finance career including leading a 100million business unit.
I held Branch, Regional, and State manager roles in three Australian states receiving numerous awards for my leadership, development of people, and results.
All of the above was great yet it didn't fully prepare me for operating solo where my spare bedroom was my office when I first started my professional practice in 1991. My corporate experience and success did teach me who to be and what to do when you feel like all is lost and you don't know what to do next.
I applied this learning. I also unlearned and relearned lots. I reached out to mentors. I'm still being and doing these four!
I've had the great privilege to have worked with more than 1000 business leaders, women and men, in over 40 countries.
I've also given more than 3000 presentations. I hold the Certified Speaking Professional (CSP) designation. Less than 12 percent of the 5,000+ speakers worldwide, who belong to the 14 member associations of the Global Speakers Federation (GSF), currently hold this professional designation.
I'm a Past National President of the Professional Speakers Association of Australia.
All of the above tells you that I'm safe to select from.
What's in me for you
All of my 5 services are bespoke.
1) I provide group mentoring. I have learned peer to peer accountability is essential to sustaining optimum performance environments. Group work improves connections between people and increases the likelihood of success with execution plans. (Individuals connect with me for private conversation as a part of our agreements).
2) I host, facilitate/moderate, lead, engage in or teach many more conversations than presentations today than when I first began. I've learned that elevated conversations enrich relationships and best work follows. Learning is better and accountability to apply learning much greater too in such conversations. Specialising in conversations also helps me to help you to embrace a proven principle I learned from David Whyte that "in leadership the conversation isn’t about the work, the conversation is the work.”
3) I provide mentoring follow-through online with groups immediately following conversations. I've learned the immense value of keeping meaningful progress visible - it's a key to application of learning in the real world and therefore the return on your investment.
4) I conduct after-action-reviews. These are a game-changer because while every detail is still fresh in people’s hearts and minds is really the only time to effectively review performance. This is why all the great sports coaches get their teams in the room privately straight after the game and before they speak with anyone else.
5) I help you to integrate new perceptions with what is already working well for you. I've learned that this is work that must be done well with great care and skill so that no undue stress is placed on your systems and structures and so that people who didn’t participate in developing the new can feel a sense of belonging and have eventual ownership too.
The time, energy and money you invest in training and learning for your people should yield you the greatest return of all your investments. I’m here for you to make this possibility a reality.
Learn more about working together and then give me a call to arrange a no obligation conversation. My number is +61 418 807 898.
I work with mavericks (rebels, radicals, dissenters, disrupters, heretics, non-conformists, contrarians, the label doesn’t matter) or you want to be become one.
Your turnover exceeds 5 million dollars and you employ more than 20 people.
You genuinely put people, purpose and planet first, and profit last. My philosophy is this: profit is not a reason for being in business, rather a result of being good at business. You'll save and make money as a consequence of our working together it just isn't the reason.
Below is a snapshot of some of the organisations where I've helped individuals/teams to thrive since 1991
Finance Accountant/Enterprise Manager, Ballarat and Queen's Anglican Grammar School
Ian adds value & depth to structure, people development, meetings and conversations. Mentoring sessions are always enlightening and solutions based. For any business that is needing to thrive through change, Ian can offer a range of tools to support this with a humanised approach.
© 2019 Ian Berry. All Rights Reserved Worldwide. Telephone +61 418 807 898